Anybody who has lived in Calgary, AB and its surrounding areas long enough knows that the winters here can be rather unforgiving, which is why it’s so important to make sure that Country Hills Hyundai customers are being smart in how they operate their vehicles under these frigid and often dangerous conditions. While SUVs like the 2017 Hyundai Tucson and 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe are equipped for all sorts of tough terrains, there’s more to driving safely in the winter than just driving the safest automobiles.
The following tips are worth considering as we head into the snowiest, iciest months of the year:
- Make sure your tires have good tread and are properly inflated, and even consider contacting the Country Hills Hyundai parts department to get winter tires put on your vehicle.
- Keep your eye on the weather before heading out for a long trip. Knowing where snow is headed and how much is expected can help you choose safe driving routes or even make smarter decisions about whether travel is necessary at all.
- Keep a half a tank of gasoline in your vehicle at all times. This way if you do end up getting stranded at least you’ve got a source of heat while you wait for help.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle, which can include not only things like a snow shovel and sand or salt, but also blankets, a hat and gloves, and extra clothes.
- Do not use cruise control when roads are icy or snowy. This gives the driver less control over the vehicle and makes fishtailing and spinning out all the more likely.
- Accelerate and decelerate more slowly than you would in dry conditions. Traction is poor in slick conditions, so flooring it isn’t going to help you. Besides, it’s better to be a few minutes late than hours late because you ended up in a ditch.
Our Hyundai service department would be happy to help with any of these things and we have even more tips for those drivers that need them. In the meantime, drive safely and stay warm as winter approaches!